A Total Solar Eclipse is Coming to the United States – Let Us Help You Watch SafelyAugust 18th, 2017
Mark your calendar … a total solar eclipse is coming to the United States on August 21st for the first time in nearly a century! A total solar eclipse occurs when the moon completely blocks the view of the sun, causing complete darkness for a brief period of time.
As we all know, it can be hazardous to stare directly at the sun, and a total solar eclipse is no different. Even though it will be completely dark at some periods during this event, it is crucial to consider that severe eye damage is still a possibility if the necessary precautions aren’t taken. At Clay Eye, we want you to be fully prepared for safe and enjoyable viewing of this phenomenon!
According to the American Astronomical Society/National Science Foundation, the following telescope and solar-filter companies manufacture and/or sell eclipse glasses (sometimes called eclipse shades) or handheld solar viewers.
All of the below glasses and viewers have been verified by an accredited testing laboratory to meet the ISO 12312-2 international safety standard for these products:
- American Paper Optics (Eclipser)
- APM Telescopes (Sunfilter Glasses)
- Baader Planetarium (AstroSolar Silver/Gold Film)
- Celestron (EclipSmart Glasses & Viewers)
- DayStar (Solar Glasses)
- Explore Scientific (Solar Eclipse Sun Catcher Glasses)
- Halo Solar Eclipse Spectacles
- Lunt Solar Systems (SUNsafe SUNglasses)
- Meade Instruments (EclipseView Glasses & Viewers)
- Seymour Solar (Helios Glasses)
- Solar Eclipse International / Cangnan County Qiwei Craft Co
- Thousand Oaks Optical (Silver-Black Polymer & SolarLite)
- TSE 17 / 110th.de (Solar Filter Foil)
Various astronomy- and science-related organizations sell eclipse glasses made by the companies listed above. If you buy from any of these businesses, you know you are getting ISO-compliant safe solar viewers.
By using these solar glasses, you are practicing eye care safety that will allow you to experience a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.